Thursday, August 20, 2009

48) Top Chef and writing

8/20/09 the literary life

I'll admit that I like to watch certain reality television shows. My favorites include Project Runway and Top Chef. What I like about these competitive shows is that they focus on creativity and often give me writing ideas. For instance, last night I watched the season premiere of Top Chef Las Vegas, a show where promising chefs compete for the esteemed title, "Top Chef." Their first assignment was to create a dish inspired by a vice they were guilty of. Their vices included everything from smoking cigars to procrastination to drinking alcohol. The results were visually stunning and inspiring. It was fun to watch the judges sample the dishes. And I thought, this could be a possible writing exercise as well, to write a poem or piece inspired by a vice (mine is definitely chocolate). If you watch creative reality shows, think about the ways the various challenges the contestants face can be translated for the page. P.S. The picture above was taken during our recent trip to Las Vegas. This image features a coconut flan we sampled at a Brazilian restaurant in the Mandalay Bay hotel.

1 comment:

  1. great idea!!! THat would make a fun writing assignment. I love Top Chef! Maybe we should start a club at school :) See you soon

    ReplyDelete