Monday, September 21, 2009

80) writing every day

the literary life 9/21/09

This morning on the way to work I listened to a CD recording of a Buddhist lecture I attended a few years ago. The lecture spoke of nurturing a spiritual life through daily meditation and reflection. The speaker said, we don't eat a meal on Saturday and expect it to sustain us for a week. We need to eat every day. It's the same with meditation and nurturing a spiritual life. We need to engage in active contemplation every day. This also made me think of my writing life. It's been a few days since I've scribbled a poem, though I have been blogging and jotting down the odd observation in my journal. Something feels lost if I'm not writing poetry at least every two days. The thing is, I often need to write a poem. I just end up, on occasion, postponing the need, focusing on something else. Later I suffer because of it. Could it be true that writing every day can diminish our suffering?

No comments:

Post a Comment