Saturday, September 26, 2009

85) Karen Armstrong on God

the literary life 9/26/09

Literature, poetry, and creative writing are my passions. But in college I majored in Religious Studies and went on to graduate school to study religion. While I attend Buddhist meditation classes and grew up Muslim, I love reading about religious history and culture. In this spirit, I listened to a 38 minute Fresh Air interview with religion writer Karen Armstrong. She's published numerous books, and early in life she spent seven years in a convent hoping to become a nun. Instead she ended up leaving, studying literature at Oxford, and publishing numerous books on various religious traditions.

For me, writing and poetry are ultimately about the numinous, the questions of being and existence. I like, from time to time, to read texts that explore such questions formally. Here's a link to Armstrong's interview at the NPR website: http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=112968197

No comments:

Post a Comment