Thursday, January 7, 2010

189) wealth


the literary life 1/7/10

Hey, so I'm thinking, wealth is an important life value. This occurred to me today while writing a poem. I don't just mean the monetary kind of wealth. In fact, I'm talking about a wealth of spirit, wealth of soul. A rich spaciousness. A mind that has always got a bright chandelier hanging over its head.

Sometimes, when I've had a blah day, I look up, but I don't see the chandelier. But when I'm feeling centered and calm, I carry a wealthy heart: I see the bright lights. Henry David Thoreau said, "Wealth is the ability to fully appreciate life."

Maybe wealth arises out of wanting less, ironically. In wanting what one has. In focusing on the chandelier, not the self. The work, not the self. The writing, not the self.

No comments:

Post a Comment