Tuesday, January 19, 2010

201) cooking tonight


the literary life 1/18/10

The day was a day. Went to work, handed back essays, organized then reorganized my classroom. On the way home from work, I stopped at the Indian grocery and got some samosas. I cooked a chicken-saag-wala dish tonight--basically, this means a chicken, spinach, sour cream dish. The ingredients include lemon, cayenne, vegetable stock, garlic, ginger, cumin, coriander, cilantro, salt, pepper, olive oil, tomatoes, and green onions. It simmered for over an hour on the stove and tasted pretty good, which made me feel proud. As I chopped ingredients, I thought about writing. I thought about poems. My senses were evoked. Now I think I'm going to grab my notebook. Cooking is calming--just me in the kitchen with a glass of pomegranate juice for company. I like writing to feel this way, a healing ritual. Writing a poem--the first flush draft--often does.

No comments:

Post a Comment