Wednesday, January 27, 2010

208) genius and madness

the literary life 1/26/10

I came across an interesting article on "Genius and Madness" that I think is worth taking a look at for emerging and seasoned writers. It's from Psychology Today. We've been discussing Edgar Allen Poe in one of my classes and his emotionally turbulent life, which is why I've been thinking about this issue. The article I found on genius and madness seems to offer a new perspective on this stereotype, suggesting that creativity doesn't lead to mental disorders; however, the "choices" some artists make might be the real reason why many creative types experience depression, etc. I like how the article demystifies creativity in a way that's ironically empowering.

The article is pretty short (just a page or two). Here's the link: http://www.psychologytoday.com/articles/200705/genius-and-madness

No comments:

Post a Comment