Friday, April 9, 2010

239) the pursuit of silence


the literary life 4/9/10

Why not reflect today about writing and silence?

One of the reasons I write is because it's one of the few places I can enter silence. In a world that seems to be getting nosier by the day, a refuge is important. For me, writing is that refuge--as well as reading. However, I've always been interested in the relationship between speech and silence, why culturally speaking, in America especially, many people often seem suspect of silence. I'm also interested in the psychological impact of too much noise.

So I happened upon a 13 minute NPR podcast with the author of a new book entitled, The 'Pursuit Of Silence' In A World Full of Noise. I recommend listening to it. Here's the link: http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=125511963

1 comment:

  1. hey
    i love ur blog
    also well fr me
    its all music
    i need music at the back
    nd noise
    or i dnt feel too gud
    feel isolated
    nd yes most of my family frm usa
    is nw very silent... even the kids
    dnt talk.. eh
    lovely post
    writing fr me is also refuge... bt a tumultuous one...

    ReplyDelete