Tuesday, August 17, 2010

292) spiritual power and why poetry matters

the literary life 8/17/10

I woke up this morning with a sinus headache. I woke up with a sliver of frustration at a few personal issues that have been bothering me lately. Anyhow, I wrote a journal entry after I got up and made my tea, and this really seemed to loosen up my thinking. I thought about how this summer has been fun but frenetic, and how I've lost my center a bit at times and what gets me back there is spiritual power, spiritual strength. And what gets me to spiritual power is reading and writing poetry. And this awakening, so needed yet unprofound, had a profound impact on me. See, I majored in religion. I am happiest when I remember the world as mysterious and numinous. Poetry, it's shape and intention, mirrors this mystery. I believe the thing that makes us most happy is being authentic and expressing our authenticity. For me, this is poetry. When I lose touch with this center, I suffer. Poetry is my practice, my religion, and my way of being. I feel as though the past few weeks I'd gone out for a walk and gotten lost. I'm finally back home.

Also, I listened to an inspiring lecture on why poetry matters by Mark Doty. Really worth hearing. Here's the link: http://www.poets.org/viewmedia.php/prmMID/21722?utm_source=poetsupdate_081710&utm_medium=newsletter&utm_campaign=content&utm_content=doty_lecture_whypoetrymatters

No comments:

Post a Comment